How Toothpaste Works?
It is a well established belief that brushing daily strengthens our teeth and makes them healthier and we use it daily never even wondering how it actually works. One must know not only the mechanism of action of a toothpaste but also the role of individual ingredients which will help in choosing an effective toothpaste. The mechanism of toothpaste action is as follows:
• Abrasive Action: The abrasive agent in the toothpaste physically removes the solid particles in the oral cavity by abrasive action. It also helps in removing food stains and polishing tooth surface. It is an established fact that Tooth Powders have almost twice the abrasive action of toothpaste.
• Antiseptic Action: The toothpaste contains antimicrobial agents such as Xylitol which inhibit the growth of bacteria in the mouth which is especially helpful in gingivitis.
• Action of fluoride: Fluoride is an important aspect of a toothpaste. It replaces the hydroxypatite of tooth with fluoropatite which is not only much stronger but also resistant to caries.
IMPORTANT THINGS TO REMEMBER WHILE USING A TOOTHPASTE
- Never swallow toothpaste as this can cause fluoride toxicity. Kids should be especially instructed against this.
- Don’t use toothpaste for pimples or zits excessively. Although it does seem to help, there are no studies that rule out possible side effects or dangers. People with sensitive skin are prone to burns and irritation on using them.
- You should brush for 2-3 minutes. Brushing vigorously for long duration does more harm than good.
Continue Reading: How to Brush Correctly